1. Gamble at your club. Convinced of your superior understanding of mathematics and science, show off at whist. When that fails, proceed to vignt-et-un, faro, and piquet.
2. Drink while gambling. Increases the odds, don’t you know!
3. Have a gaggle of unmarriageable daughters and name them Imelda, Griselda, Hamelda, Gertrude, and Mildred. Scrounge up portions to carry them through spinsterhood.
4. Maintain your dowager mother on a hefty jointure. The third wife of the Duke of Leeds outlived her husband by 63 years and siphoned £190,000 from the estate! Ouch.
5. Upstage your fellow peers by declaring palladian architecture de rigeur, formal gardens passé, and nude statuary a must. Apply these prevailing fashions to your ALL of your sundry estates and renovate. Hell, why not live the life of a collector? It is for the benefit of your heir.
6. Disregard the slavish fashion mindset of the women in your life. Let’s see here: wife, daughters, mistress (or two) and the occassional prostitute. Check and damnation! After all that altruism and personal sacrifice, you deserve to splurge on some manly embellishments. Think gemstone buttons, diamond buckled shoes, and painstaking embroidery on your waistcoats. One must play the part, after all.